DIY Mama’s Love Flower Wall Hanger
This project is a card and gift in one for your mom, your mom-in-law, your aunt, your friend, or any other mother-hearted human you love and appreciate. It can be a wreath that she hangs on her door or wall, or a tabletop display for a centerpiece or table accent and can be finished in under an hour, even if you paint, as long as you utilize a hairdryer to speed the drying process.
Painted with Paint Sticks
Originally I had planned to chippy paint the paint sticks but as I was working out the project details I realized that their measurement markings fit well with the sentiment that a mama’s love is immeasurable and, voila! — the finished piece.
The DIY alcohol ink can be made in any color that you think works with the measurement markings, which may be orange as shown or may be some other color depending on what sticks you find. You could do as I had originally planned and paint the sticks all one dark base color covered by a lighter color and distress them by wiping some paint away so they look old and chippy. You could also do a group of complementary colors to form a pattern of two to five shades, make them solid or worn, or chipped, or crackled. You could try staining the paint sticks with coffee or tea instead of the DIY alcohol ink. If you are unsure, do some tests on spare paint sticks. If you do the ombre DIY alcohol ink and you change your mind you can always paint over it without having to start the project over (this would maybe be a fun updo for a few seasons down the road.) You could also use used and not washed paint sticks that have lots of character from the glops and drips of paint, then paint over them in one color to make them uniform (I think I will try this one next!)
Add Flowers and A Ribbon
Choose different colors for the tag or different flowers to suit the special lady who receives this. Add a length of the grosgrain ribbon adhered inside the sides of the box to hang it as a wreath with faux or real cut flowers (wrap the stems in a wet paper towel in a zip bag and carefully add more water daily.
Hang on a Wall or Set on a Tabletop
Finish it all the way around and use it as a tabletop centerpiece or as a wreath on a glass door. Adapt it for any season with different flowers, different ribbons, and a different sentiment on the tag.
Supplies to cover an approximately 20.3 oz box (in original orientation/portrait, which is approximately 9 ¼ inches wide by 2 ⅜ inches deep) as shown, you’ll need:
- 13 small paint sticks (one gallon size, approximately 12 inches long by 1 inch wide by ⅛ inch thick)
- Add 9 if covering the back for use on a table or as a wreath on a glass door where the back will show.
- Add 3 paint sticks if you want to make this landscape orientation (wider with the cereal box turned on it’s side) covering only the front and sides, add 12 more if covering the back.
- About 18 inches of ⅝ inch grosgrain ribbon (or similar ribbon, or rick rack, or lace ribbon) in orange, yellow, tan linen
- About 96 inches of 2.5 inch wide linen wired ribbon (add the width of the cereal box if covering the back with paint sticks
- 1 each color of 8.5 by 11 inch smooth cardstock: yellow, orange, dark brown
- Yellow food coloring
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Glue pen
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Twine or more orange ribbon (above) to hang as a wreath
- Cardstock, kraft paper, masking paper, or paint to cover the box if you need to space the paint sticks (see instructions)
- Orange faux flowers
- Soft Bristle Paint Brush
Love this DIY Mama’s Love Flower Wall Hanger? Make sure to pin and share it!
Become a Member!By becoming a subscriber to Pazzles Craft Room you will have access to this project as well as hundreds of other projects, thousands of cutting files, and so much more!
Get Pazzles Craft Room!
Join Now for only $19.95!